Repair of personal computers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

CN Discussion » General » Repair of personal computers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roger Ehrlich
Username: Rehrlich

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 11:09 pm:   

Hello
So far this year at least 6 students have approached me about repairing their own personal computer. Some have asked if they could leave their PC with me to repair by the next day. Sorry it is impossible for me to accommodate such requests. Resolving technical issues with PCs can sometimes be quick, but often is very time consuming, especially if the description about the problem is vague.

If you have a particular question I do not mind answering them and giving you suggestions. However realize that my time must be primarily spent attending to technical issues here in CN. This keeps me very busy. Thus I cannot redirect my focus to directly troubleshoot your own computer. No program in the university has the staff or resources to offer this type of service.

My suggestions to begin with is feel free to use the PCs in the lab to research your issue and resolve the problem with your PC. Be very observant as to what occurred prior to your PC's failure and learn about the means a PC can provide information to a user, such as POSTs, Events and logs. Also be very cautious how you troubleshoot. If you search online and you come across a link to a "Wonder Utility" that promises to fix your problem, be suspicious, it potentially will install malware. Use authentic sources, like Microsoft, Apple, Cisco, etc.

You'll have to develop proper habits for wise troubleshooting for work too.
Cheers, Roger

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration